In a tribute to Deli Alli’s fantastic miss against Stoke on Sunday here are my top six football misses.
1. The man himself. A chance to put the game to bed with the goal gaping. Fingers crossed he still gets a Premier League winner’s medal in May.
2. In the 2008-09 season Chris Iwelumo was flying high in the Championship, scoring for fun with Wolves. He made his international debut for Scotland against Norway, coming on as a sub in the 57th minute with the score 0-0. One horrendous miss later and Scotland spend another summer at home.
3. An oldie, but a goodie. Ronny Rosenthal, also known by the nickname Rocket Ronny, latches on to a long ball by David James, goes past the goalie and just has to roll the ball in. Easier said than done.
4. Up there in competition with Deli Alli for miss of the season. It’s important to remember that Dzeko has winner’s medals for two Premier Leagues, FA Cup, League Cup along with a Bundesliga Golden Boot and it Bosnia’s all time top scorer. Haters still gonna hate.
5. West Brom, not unusually, are fighting relegation and in stoppage time Kanu has a chance to equalise against Middlesbrough from one yard out to gain a vital point. Such a miss added even more drama to the great escape.
6. Even the very best have bad days at the office.
Any other great misses that I’ve, err…, missed out?
After a fairly sticky start to his Chelsea career Fernando Torres has the chance to make an impact in a crucial match against Manchester United. A £50m striker couldn’t miss from there could he? Shout out to Luke Venn for reminding me of this from China where I’m sure his coaching will mean the Chinese will not partake in any of the videos above in years to come.